Monday, October 30, 2006

Soccer Champions from Around the World

As many of you know, upon accepting my position here in China, I received the unenviable task of telling the soccer program I had helped coach for twelve years that I would not be on the sidelines for the 2006 season. I shed many tears figuring out how to tell the athletes my news. In fact, as I recall that Sunday afternoon meeting, tears still fill my eyes. Lini Reading, the Head coach of the Whitefish Lady Bulldogs soccer team, and I had coached with one another for twelve seasons. Every fall, since I had moved from Minnesota to Montana, had spent on the sidelines, developing athletes and young adults. The flight to China, away from these young women, left a void in my life.

During the last two months, I have followed the 2006 Lady Bulldogs through their season. I have used the internet and email to keep in contact. I have even phoned home the night before or the night of a big game. I called Lini the night the girls took on their cross-valley rivals, Columbia Falls, for Homecoming. I checked my email every half hour, the day of a match, to find out how the team fared. In some respects, I feel like I have held on a bit too tightly.

This last Saturday, the Lady Bulldogs competed with the Billings Central Lady Rams for the right to be called the 2006 Montana State Class A State Soccer Champion. The Lady Bulldogs, through heavy winds, blew away their opponent 3-1 and claimed the programs second State Title--the only Class A girls squad to claim a second crown. I wish I could have been there, but in consolation, I spent my Saturday playing intramural soccer with my students here in Kunming. The following are the only pictures I have been able to find of the 2006 Montana State Soccer Champions.
Senior co-captain, Jen Joern, squeezes by her Billings Central mark. Jen was consistently in the top tier of scoring and assist leaders for Class A throughout the season.
Senior, Carmel Johnston rises above two would-be Rams defenders. Carmel's quiet determination and consistency led the Lady Bulldogs all over the field. Carmel is like BASF: she does not make the Bulldogs; she helps make all her Bulldog teammates better.
With only seven goals scored against them all year--four of those coming against Class AA, Flathead--the Bulldog defense ruled the area in front of their own goal. Here, senior co-captain, Amy Wright (armband), senior goalkeeper, Kirsten NallyMadigan, sophomore defender, Kelsey McKluskey, and Johnston, do what they did all season: keep the ball out of the net.
Senior defender, Sarah Clark, keeps stride with a Billings attacker. During her four years, Sarah has played central midfield, outside defense, central defense, and has even spent some time between the goalposts. A model of consistency, Sarah is not an easy person to beat.
Senior co-captain, Amy Wright has been the starting central defender for the Lady Bulldogs since her freshman season. Prior to being a standout defender at Whitefish High school, she used to take care of my dog Sherpa, when Robert (my twin brother) and I coached her older brother's team. Amy defines the word competitor. Success through effort is her M. O..
Thank you, ladies, for the great season. I wish I could have been there to see it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Roland, It is no wonder that I was not able to get through to your email or to call your computer. You probably already had the stats and the pictures before Lini called. everyone involved with the team and the coaches should be very proud of them-including you!!!

6:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Roland this win is as much yours as it is Lini's and the girls. You were there with them, maybe not in person, but definetely in their hearts, minds and souls. You have taught them so much, on and off the field. This summer we will have a 2006 Montana Class A State Champs party so the "whole" team can be there! Thank you so much for everything you have done for them!

Bobbi Rounds

11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home