Saturday, September 30, 2006

Chinese National Day

Many people have asked me to share about my students: primarily where they are from. So here are a few pictures of some of my students. This photo shows a number of the Sophomores from my homeroom and British Literature class. Starting on the left is Ji Soo from South Korea (she is actually in ELD class instead of my lit. class). Next to her in order are Sonja (Finland), Vikanda in the white shirt (Thailand), 'Jennifer' (South Korea), 'Tim' (South Korea), Gary (a Tawainese raised in South Africa--he has a great accent), Ji Sung in the glasses (South Korea), and Grace (very American). In front posing is 'Adam' from South Korea. Any student's 'name' with quotation marks around them denotes that these are not their given names. These are the Western names they have, of their own volition, chosen to be called. Ji Sung also goes by Ashley.
Here is another shot of some of the Sophomores goofing around after the Chinese National Day presentation held on Friday, 29 Sept. 2006. Chinese National Day is actually 01 October, but that is a Sunday this year, so we celebrated early. I will be going into downtown Kunming to see the parades on Sunday after services. In the picture are Russel (from the U.S.), Gary, Adam, Tim (hiding in back) and Grace. If you have not guessed it, Adam loves to ham things up and his classmates are more than willing to help by laughing at him.
Miss Audrey is a Southern Belle from Texas who has lived much of her life in China. She loves track and her clothing is indicative of the 'modern' Chinese fashion. Audrey is a Junior in my American Literature class.
Here I am with some of my other Juniors who dressed in traditional Chinese clothing for National Day. On the left is Rosemary, who, when she graduates next year, will be the first student in KIA history to metriculate from Kindergarten all the way through high school graduation. Next to her is 'Joshua', a student who is from California with a U.S. passport, but who is still very aware of his father's Korean heritage. Wai Leuk appears in the blue. Wai Leuk is Cantonese, his parents coming from Hong Kong. His mother teaches Chinese History and Chinese Language at KIA. Hopefully, the traditional clothing does not hide the nature of the person on the far right.

These last two photos are of a group of Seniors and Tim and me. The Seniors are Marcus from South Korea, Weng Hei from Singapore, and on my right, Martina (older sister of Gary) from Taiwan/South Aftica (she also has a wonderful accent). You cannot see it very well, if at all, but Tim's hat has a fake 'queue' or braided ponytail coming from the back and draped over his left shoulder. I expect Joe Coco to know the significance of the hand jesture. It has a specific meaning in the martial arts world (the open hand covering the closed fist). It is also used as a sign of respect when greeting others and when showing sincere thanks.

I will send more picture of the downtown celebration events. Also, for those of you who remember Tyler Durham, who spent some time in Whitefish with a number of his friends from back east (New Hampshire), I received an email from him to let me (among others) know that he is now in China. I have not heard what his final destination is, but he told me about a month ago that he would love to end up in Yunnan Province where I am. I know that Katie Reimer is aware of this, because her email was on the list of recipients who received Tyler's transmission. Anyway, enjoy the pictures.

Grace and Peace to all my Brothers and Sisters,

Roland






3 Comments:

Blogger Jacob said...

Roland, You did a great job formatting this post! I can tell that you are getting a hang of this blogging stuff. These pictures are great. It is so funny because it looks to me like Robert is wearing Chinese clothing. I have a twin brother too, so I know what it is like.

Robert's Co-worker, Jacob

11:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Roland
Robert showed us how to comment on your latest blog. I'm going to try to see if you get this. Let me know.

Robert finished the marathon in 4 hours 5 minutes. He was very spent, but felt that it was worth the effort. I think that there may be some group runs in the future.

Your new format looks awesome, but I missed the great narratives that you have been sending.

We love you

4:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Roland
You crack me up! We definately miss you here and can't wait until you come home. Hope you are having fun!
Carmel

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home