Sunday, October 15, 2006

A Short Lesson on Bills, and 'Futbal' from Around the World

Let me provide you with a little tutorial about bill paying in China. I will contrast this style of personal accounting with what many of you may be used to in the States. In Montana, a person will receive a billing statement via the mail or via email about thirty days prior to the due date. For people like me, this allows for thirty days to forget when the due date is. For more organized people, this allows thirty days in which to make arrangements to pay the bill. For the most organized people, this gives them one day to pay the bill and twenty-nine days to forget about the urgency of pay said bill.
Here in China, things work a bit differently. Some bills, like electricity, come to your door. Infact, they take the billing statement and paste it to the security door at the bottom of your apartment's stairwell so everyone can see how much energy you waste or conserve. I actually prefer this method: a physical reminder for those of us who need a slap across the face in order to get somethings done. (Note: I never forget about when to get together with the students to play soccer.) The only other method I am forced to deal with is the "your too late method." This method asks me to simply remember that by a certain day each month I need to go to the bank or the gas company or the water company or the phone company to pay my bill. If the bill is forgotten, then the gas or the water or the phone is simply shut off. For those of you who noticed that I had not emailed much last week, it was because I failed to pay my phone bill. Yesterday, Saturday, 14 October, I paid that bill and got my ADSL reinstated. I know I should remember to pay this next month, but I will probably forget. Most likely the due date will be on the same day as soccer.
Speaking of 'Futbal.' Check out these student footballers in our recently initiated KIA intramural soccer league. The athletes range from 7th through 12th grade and include males and females. Saturday marked our second day of competition. After the two scheduled games (4v4 on the basketball court with a 'futsal' ball.), we just played about 8v8 on the larger part of the courtyard. Some of the juniors and seniors were taking the SAT and came out during their breaks.
Jason (American/Korean) controls the ball against Weng Hei (right, Singaporean) and Tan the Man (left, in jeans, also Singaporean). Josiah (American) makes a run forward in support.
Weng 'the Magic Feet' Hei receives pressure from Josiah. Tan the Man supports in the shadows, while Evie 'Present' (American) lurks for the steal.
Tan the Man pushes the ball up the court as Jason applies the pressure. Michelle (Chilean/American) moves wide in support of the advance.
Evie challenges Tan the Man. Michelle provides the second-woman defense, while Josiah attempts to open up for Miss Evelyn.
After nearly a week of rain, the sunny Saturday playing provided much joy. The first game commenced at 0930. The second started at approximately 1015 (3 times 10 minute periods). Then from about 1050 until about 1245 we played pick-ups (8v8) on the larger area by simply extending past the sidelines of the court. The guys especially got a 'kick' out of when they could beat me, but I like to think I dealt out more than I received. Ultimately, it was the quintessential male injury that ended our play time: the old groin injury, and I do not mean a pulled groin. If you are a female and do not understand, ask one of your male friends who has played athletics that do not involve a cup. Anyway, that is 'futbal' from around the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home