Sunday, June 08, 2008

Last year, when I wrote about the Senior Banquet, my piece had more to do with missing my own Senior Prom than with anything else. I suppose when one becomes a senior high school teacher, one cannot help but reminisce about one's own high school experience. However, this being my second banquet, I would like to focus more on the pictures. The venue for this year's banquet found us traveling to the north-side of Kunming, to a nice "western" restaurant owned by a Chinese gentleman who is friends with a number of the staff at KIA. We enjoyed a five course dinner, complete with a bread and fruit bar. Overall, I would say that this year's accommodations were better: better food, cozier atmosphere (because there were not a lot of us), and better music. In any case, lets move on to the pictures.
Pictured above is the beautiful, Miss Suli. She stands on the edge of mirror pool near the restaurant and produces her always stunning smile. Last year, I chose her dress, and she approved. This year, she sifted through many dresses and found this black and white beauty, and I approved. Because I am the junior class sponsor and because the junior class is in charge of the banquet, Suli and I also joined the students at the after party, where we enjoyed light refreshments, videos of the seniors, the "senior wills", and some sweet air band performances.
The theme for this year's banquet was Masquerade. Wai Leuk got into the theme by making his very own mask to go along with his black cape. It did look a bit Phatom of the Opera'esque, but he pulled it off, even though his spectacles had to be worn over the top of his masque. Many of the girls and a few of the guys arrived with their masques in place and took many pictures displaying their variety of face-coverings.
Wai Leuk (pronounced 'why look') took off his mask long enough for me to snap this photo of him with Rosemary. These two were voted by the group as King and Queen (or here in China, Emperor and Empress). These two seniors will be heading in different directions next year. Rosemary will travel to New York, while Wai Leuk, at last report, will be going to university in Hong Kong, his home. He would like to study in the states, but has not heard from his possible schools. Wai Leuk's purple cape, the cape of the king replaced his own black cape for this photo opportunity.
Last year, some of the people who viewed my blog noticed that Suli looked rather miniscule next to me. I may be wide, but I am not tall (5' 8"). This year, Suli decided to get a step on me, so she stood on the tiny planter, retaining wall next to the mirror pool. Now, in her heels, she is almost my height. She also wanted to show off her beautifully painted fingernails, and while you will not be able to see the fine detail of the flowers on the white background, you can still see the white nails. Of course, I find it difficult to be serious for any photo (I do not look like me when I am serious), so I am giving a look as if to say "what's going on behind my back."

Well, I hope you enjoy the photos as much as I enjoyed this year's banquet. Until next year's event, when my juniors will be the seniors, zai jian.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Roland,
We just read your recent blog and the e-mail that you sent to announce the addition. We aren't wondering "if you will marry, just when." We don't want to miss the big occasion when it happens.

Mom and Dad

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home