Sunday, May 22, 2016

Class of 2015: Shao Kao, Senior Prank, and Graduation


From August 2011 to May 2015, these students honored me by allowing me to be one of their homeroom advisors.  I will not kid myself and think that we always got along, but after four years, "saying goodbye" (ala the muppets, from Muppets Take Manhattan) was a bit difficult for me.  The following pictures are from some of the last memories I have with this wonderful set of students.


Shao kao (Chinese barbecue) on the river bridge near the Kunming International Academy's (KIA) campus.  At least of couple students--David and Peter K.--are doing what many students do.  Stare at their phones.  Victoria (right edge) provides her your-not-seriously-taking-my-photo-are-you face; whereas Lydia provides a wonderful I-am-ready-for-my-close-up smile.


These feet have traveled the world and will probably continue to do so.  I cannot remember which feet go to which senior, but I do know that the big reflective green shoes go with me.


If you have never experienced shao kao then you have no idea just how much it can transform a person.  In this case, happy friendly Macy has turned into a ravenous barbecue-holic, willing to turn on even her best friends to make certain all of these skewers remain in her possession, allowing her to satisfy her craving for spicy meat.


There is something else magical about shao kao--along with the flavor:  shao kao builds friendships.  Okay, maybe that is going a bit far, but every time I have ever eaten Chinese barbecue, it has been with friends, and each time has been its own special memory.  Four years of lock-in shao kao have been no different.  Here Kyeree, David, and Jeewon (from left to right) sing "Kumbaya" together.  (Not really, but they do look like good friends in this shot.)


Shao kao also creates peace.  Now, I am uncertain if this picture was taken before Macy's psychotic episode, but I like to think that this is after consuming her tray full of pork skewers, allowing her to turn back into her Jekyll-self.  This of course makes Josiah (behind Macy) happy, but why is Sam flashing the "V-arsity L-oser" sign?



As you can see, the consumption of liberal amounts of Chinese barbecue results in all kinds of smiles (front to back: Grace, Lydia L., Valerie (advisor), Chaerin, Anna, Victoria, Lydia S., Olivia (on the left), and Peter J.) and more peace (also Chaerin and Josh).



The KIA grade-12 students are also known for their annual "senior prank."  The Class of 2015 decided to have lifesize cutouts made, placing them all around the school the week they graduated.  Here, Josiah is caught hanging out outside Mr. Johnson's classroom.


Meanwhile, Jeewon and Sam welcome the underclassmen to the Hang Out Place--HOP--where students spend their break time purchasing and eating snacks sold by the Student Government Association.


Peter K., true to his quiet and reclusive self, tried to hide from the senior prank, but we found him peeking out on the hallway from my classroom window.


Some of the students received questionable placements.  First, David does who-knows-what outside the entrance to the women's bathroom.  And if that was not bad enough, Peter J. took up residency inside a stall in the women's bathroom.  Ahem!  What were those class supervisors teaching these two?


At least Victoria provides a look of are-you-serious-I-have-to-stand-here as she poses outside the men's facilities.


Possibly the most disturbing positioning--at least for the males--was Cherry smiling as she looked across the lineup of urinals in the men's bathroom.


Josh took up his position at the top of the stairs, seeming to question any jr. high students, "Are you supposed to be on the fifth floor?"


Grace peeks out from between some lockers, Noel practices his gong fu right outside the high school science lab, and Kaitlyn appears to be jumping up to touch one of the hallway light fixtures (possibly the highest she has ever jumped before or since).


Commencement day was my time to go around getting pictures with the new KIA alumni.  I did not get to pose with each of them, but here are all of the graduates with whom I did get to snap an "usie."  Here, Hyein and I squeeze in a shot together, during her very busy graduation day photo shooting schedule with family and friends.

Kyeree flashes her pearly whites, while Josiah unknowingly photobombs us over Kyeree's right shoulder.


Anna gives her oh-my-goodness-is-that-me-in-the-photo look.  Yes, Anna, it is you.  By the way, where is your friend Victoria?  (You know what I mean.)


Jeewon does not look very certain, but in the end, she has no choice but to have her picture taken with me.


Kaitlyn is all smiles with her diploma and roses. Or is it because she gets to be in a photo with me?


Victoria (left) is so jealous of Chaerin, who is having her picture taken with me, that tall one leans in and forces her way into this group photo.


I tried to get Sam to perform a funny face, but instead, he smiled.  So he looks great, and I . . . well . . . I . . . hmm?


Two twins:  I have my twin brother, Robert, and Lydia S. has her twin sister, Lydia S..  Not really, but that really is Cherry's cutout sneaking a peak between the "real" Lydia (she knows what I am talking about) and me.


And this wee-one is Olivia.  Just to be clear, the photo is not making her look smaller than she really is.  However, the face she is making also displays just how giant her character is.

I wish I had pictures of all the seniors, but be certain that I have a picture of each of them in my mind.  Also be certain that KIA and I miss each of them this year.  We all pray that each of these alumni are blessed during the next phase of their lives, whether it is university, required military service, work, gap year, or whatever else they are up to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home